20 Things You Do Not Know About Japan
We know Japan is a country full of beautiful sakura watching spots, delicious sushi, and is rich in unique culture. But there are some things that many of us are not aware of about Japan.
Jul 06 2014 (Mar 19 2019)
1. Japan, which is called "Nihon" or "Nippon" in Japanese, is made up of 6,852 islandsSora/Flickr
2. There is an average of 1500 earthquakes yearly in Japan due to its location in the Ring of Fire (but most of them can't be feld)
3. Trains in Japan are the most punctual in the world with an average delay of only 18 seconds
6. Rumors say that adult diapers are sold more than baby diapers in Japan
7. There are about 5.52 million vending machines around the country
8. In Some company it is accepatable to sleep during working hours as it is seen as being tired from hard work (though there are rules)
Japan's Literacy Rate available on the CIA's website
Definition: age 15 and over can read and write
Total population: 99%
Female: 99% (2002)
This is one of Japan's UNESCO World Heritage Sites - the Historic Villages of Shirakawa-gō and Gokayama located in Gifu. The title was awarded to the site in 1995.
12. In Japan, people are interested in your blood type - it is a common question just like someone asking your Zodiac sign
Check this article for more details:
13. The world's oldest company, Kango Gumi, had a history of 14 centuries and operated from 578 to 2006 in Osaka, Japan
Kongo Gumi's employees in the early 20th century
Kongo Gumi Co. Ltd. was a construction company specializing in temple buildings. It was handed down among 40 generations since the company started in year 578.
14. Square watermelons are produced in Japan to ease the burden among the farmers to stack and store the fruits
16. Do not expect to get cheaper electronic gadgets in JapanQuattro Vageena/Flickr
17. Public transport is expensive in Japantokyoform/Flickr
Although known for its efficiency, public transports in Japan can cost you a lot. If you plan to travel throughout Japan, make sure to get the discount JR Pass while you're still overseas. (It's unavailable within Japan.)
18. Toilets in Japan are very high technology. After all, you are in the country known for its high-tech gadgetsつんつん/Flickr
19. On average, Japan has 2 gun-related homicides per yearmr.smashy/Flickr
20. Dancing in commercial buildings including nightclubs is illegal in Japan without a permit
(Facts source: www.factslides.com)
The information in this article is accurate at the time of publication.