9 Must-Go Sukiyaki Restaurants in Tokyo
Find out why Japan is proud of their sukiyaki through these restaurants in Tokyo.
May 07 2015 (Apr 16 2019)
Japan is well known for its sukiyaki. Of course, now you can also enjoy some really good sukiyaki outside of Japan, but naturally the experience of having them in Japan itself is different. This article will introduce some restaurants within the capital that serves to-die-for sukiyakis.
1. Ishibashi [Suehirocho]Jun OHWADA/Flickr
Located in Kanda, Ishibashi first started off as a butcher’s shop some 143 years ago, making them one of the oldest sukiyaki restaurants around. The menu is still the same as ever and you shouldn’t miss out on trying their Kuroge Wagyu. This should be your top priority when you are in town.
3-6-8 Sotokanda, Chiyoda Ward, Tokyo
2. Sakuranabe Nakae Kanemura [Minowa]Tatsuya Fukata/Flickr
Sakuranabe Nakae Kanemura, that is located at Minowa is not only well known for its delicious sukiyaki but also for it horse meat. You can also experience some Edo culture through special meal plans that include performances by Asakusa’s beautiful geishas.
4-16-7 Senzoku, Taito Ward, Tokyo
3. Ningyocho Imahan Main Store [Ningyocho]Hidetsugu Tonomura/Flickr
Ningyocho Imahan is well known throughout the whole of Japan and you shouldn’t miss the chance to taste the beef that is cooked with care in their sukiyaki broth. The restaurant uses their own cultivated beef, so you can be sure that they are using high-grade meat for your meal. Step in here not only for their good sukiyaki but also for the comfortable ambience after a day of sightseeing.
2-9-12 Nihonbashi Ningyocho, Chuo Ward, Tokyo
4. Okahan Main Store [Ginza]This famous store is located in Ginza and they are not only famous for its sukiyaki but also for their teppanyaki. For those who have no qualms in splurging for sukiyaki, this would be the place to have some high-quality sukiyaki. We recommend that you place your reservations first as this shop is really popular regardless of its prices.
7th and 8th Floor Ginza Kanedanaka Building, 7-6-16 Ginza, Chuo Ward, Tokyo
5. Zakuro TBS Store [Akasaka]Zakuro TBS Store is located near one of Japan’s broadcasting channel, TBS and it is regarded as a premier sukiyaki restaurant in Tokyo. Hence, it isn’t surprising that patrons commonly use this restaurant for really special occasions. Their sesame dipping sauce has a spicy twist to it that goes really well with their tender beef slices, which we are sure will satisfy your taste buds.
2nd Floor Shops & Dining, Akasaka Biz Tower, 5-3-1 Akasaka, Minato Ward, Tokyo
6. Sugimoto Main Store, Tokyo Skytree Town, Solamachi Store [Oshiage]
Sugimoto Main Store is located at Tokyo’s famous Skytree Tower. Only here can you delight your taste buds with some aged beef sukiyaki. Don’t forget to try their Matsuzaka beef sukiyaki.
6th Floor Tokyo Solamachi, 1-1-2 Oshiage, Sumida Ward, Tokyo
7. Yamato [Ningyocho]㌍㍍ a.k.a. d.Joker/Flickr
Yamato at Ningyocho that has been around for a long time, offers a really good lunch deal. You can get a lunch set of its high-quality sukiyaki for about \\1500. Who can ever say no to such a great bargain. Most foreign visitors might have some reservations in taking raw eggs, but you should at least try to dip the cooked tender meat slices into your raw egg dipping. You will not regret its rich taste.
2-8-3 Nihonbashi Ningyocho, Chuo Ward, Tokyo
8. Yonezawa Beef Oogi Tokyo Store [Tokyo station]
Yonezawa Beef Oogi Tokyo Store is located at Tokyo’s Yaesu and as the name of the store suggests, it uses the premium Yonezawa beef. You can also try their special miso sukiyaki, which is extremely popular among its patrons. If you come during the weekend or on public holidays, you might get the chance to try their limited lunch special.
B1 Floor, Tokyo Station Yaesu North Exit Kurobe Yokocho, 1-9-1 Marunouchi, Chiyoda Ward, Tokyo
9. Matsukiya [Shibuya]
Matsukiya at Shibuya is well-loved by all and serves a wide range of patrons from children to adults. They serve Japan’s finest Ohmi beef and once you taste the beef melting in your mouth, you might come back for more. Come and enjoy one of Tokyo’s most delicious sukiyaki within their comfortable walls.
6-8 Maruyamacho, Shibuya Ward, Tokyo
Have we gotten your mouth watering? If you ever have the change to dine at one of these restaurants, don’t forget to sukiyaki the right way by not overcooking the beef. Such fine beef tastes its best when cooked medium rare!
The information in this article is accurate at the time of publication.