Tokyo Station Hotel
Completed in 1915. During the air raids, the roof caught fire. This is a building that has seen the effects of war. Though it’s a 3 story building, only 2 stories were reopened for business. In 2003, along with the brick Tokyo Station building, it was designated as an important cultural property.
Mitsukoshi Main Store
Completed in 1914. It’s Japan’s first department store. Not only was it Japan’s first steel-reinforced concrete store, it’s still groundbreaking as Japan’s first establishment with escalators and elevators.
St. Luke’s International Hospital (Former hospital, current church)
Completed in 1933. This was designed by a Czech architect. According to the street’s redevelopment plan, this building was supposed to have been torn down. However, because it was recognized as having cultural value, instead it was repaired using donated funds, and is now used as a chapel.
Completed in 1931. An eight-story reinforced concrete building with a basement. Afterwards it was outfitted with an elevator and all kinds of facilities so it became state-of-the-art for its time. It has been designated as a Tokyo historical structure.
Hibiya Public Building
Completed in 1929.
A four-story reinforced concrete building.
After the Great Kanto earthquake of 1923, it became a symbol of reconstruction. Thanks to a number of well-known volunteers donating a large amount of money, this was built as an attachment to a modern concert hall.
Completed in 1930.
A six-story steel-reinforced concrete building.
Part of the first floor holds a beautiful arched semi-circle window.
Thanks to a renovation that has made the best of that beauty, there is a famous Western confectionery store on the first floor.
Tokyo Reconstruction Memorial Hall
Completed in 1931.
A 2-story steel-reinforced concrete building.
During the Great Kanto earthquake of 1923, many people gathered on the empty lot where the building now sits and took refuge with their household belongings.
Catholic Tsukiji Church
Completed in 1927.
A wooden 2 story building.
It was originally built in 1869 by a settlement of foreigners in Tokyo as a simple mud wall building.
A pastor who ran a mission in Yokohama at the time opened the church in its current spot in 1873 after the ban on Christianity was lifted.
Hitachi Mejiro Club
Completed in 1928.
A 2-story reinforced concrete building with a basement.
According to the Kunaichou Naishouryou (the agency that engages in the creation of furnishings and ceremonial goods for the Imperial Family), it was built as a dorm for advanced college students under the old system.
Waseda Houshien Scott Hall
Completed in 1921.
It is an example of modern-day architecture using as few bricks as possible.
You can tell that it’s a building that escaped damage from the Great Kanto earthquake of 1923 and the war damage during WWII.